Saturday, August 8, 2015

Back in the saddle?


Today I could have slept in. My husband was at an all day training session and our son was at his aunt and uncle's house. I had nothing to do but clean and errands. I could have slept in. I normally would have slept in. But I did not sleep in and I feel so proud.

Instead I got up at 6:30 and went for a bike ride. It was a short ride, but it was the first time I had ridden my bike other than up and down my street.  And considering I really haven't ridden a bike any distance since high school (which was over 20 years ago) this was a big deal!

It was 6.44 miles from my door to the return home and it included time riding on the street. I was so nervous, I almost backed out. But that is why I got up and out by 7 am - I wanted to do it before a lot of people were on the road. 

I rode downtown to one of the rail trail entrances and I rode two miles on there. It was great to see so many other people riding, walking, and running. My town really appreciates the residents and maintains that trail well. Other than the middle aged couple having a rendezvous on one of the benches, it was a very uneventful ride. But it made me feel empowered. When I hit the town line I backtracked and headed home. I was on the street a little longer this time, but it was still early enough that I didn't compete with too many cars. 

I am quite sore right now, but happy. I did something I have wanted to do for years. I conquered a fear (my last bike riding experience when I was a teen is not a pleasant memory). And I want to go out and do it again tomorrow. I want to get back on track and start back with my fitness routine. I fell Off the wagon HARD, but today gave me a taste of what it feels like to do something for myself and I want to indulge in it more. 

Baby I am back!!!


I suppose I could have smiled so I wouldn't look so confused in this selfie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment